Log In


Reset Password
LEHIGH VALLEY WEATHER

Closing McCarty’s

Owner thanks patrons for 100-plus years of business in Catty

McCarty’s, a historic, family-owned bar and restaurant, has closed its doors for good Oct. 25. Located at 735 Front St., Catasauqua, McCarty’s has been run by family members since the 1860s.

Sam McCarty owned and operated the business for the past 50-plus years.

McCarty’s will be missed by many. Patrons felt it was definitely one of a kind and loved by countless individuals. There was nothing fancy about McCarty’s, except its extensive Irish spirit — just good, cheap drinks and eats to enjoy with friends gathering to socialize.

Upon learning of the Oct. 25 closing, patrons jammed the bar, expressing heartfelt congratulations, thanks and well wishes to Sam.

In the 1860s, Sam’s great-grandfather, Owen, started the business.

Around 1900, Sam’s great-uncle (Owen’s son), Frank, took over the place.

In 1927, Sam’s grandfather, Charles “Keck” McCarty, and Keck’s brother, Jack, ran the business.

Sam took over full time in the early 1970s and has been a mainstay for all these years.

Sam and the McCarty family express their thanks to all for their business for 100-plus years.

There will be an online auction of bar memorabilia sometime in the next month or two. The auction will be held by Dotta Auction Company Inc. Anyone interested can check the company’s website calendar at dottaauction.com/calendar.php.

The location will no longer be a bar under its new ownership.

PRESS PHOTOS BY JIM WEBERSam McCarty has been owner and operator of McCarty’s for the past 50-plus years. The business, located at 735 Front St., Catasauqua, closed Oct. 25.
Patrons at the bar enjoy their time with friends.
A sign on the door of McCarty’s thanks its patrons for more than 100 years of business. The bar and restaurant, located at 735 Front St., Catasauqua, closed Oct. 25.
PRESS PHOTOS BY JIM WEBERPatrons of McCarty’s say the business was one of a kind.