Log In

Reset Password

Volunteer firefighters save three from carbon monoxide poisoning

By Susan Bryant


According to New Tripoli Fire Chief Gary Kuntz Jr., the New Tripoli Fire Company and the Germansville Fire Company were dispatched for an inside hazard with multiple victims, with one reported to be unconscious around 4 a.m. Aug. 4 in the 7400 block of Camp Meeting Road, Lynn Township.

Kuntz said the first officer from New Tripoli arrived on scene to find two individuals on the front porch with the third still unconscious somewhere in the residence.

“The first engine arrived from New Tripoli and encountered very high carbon monoxide levels in the residence,” Kuntz said. “The crew immediately went to work performing a primary search of the entire residence while wearing self-contained breathing apparatus.

“The crew was quickly able to find the unconscious victim in a second-floor bedroom and remove him from the residence.”

Kuntz said all three patients were transported to the hospital by emergency medical services.

“The source of the carbon monoxide was found to be a generator running in the basement of the residence.

“Crews from New Tripoli and Germansville worked to ventilate the residence,” Kuntz stated. “Our fire team members here at New Tripoli spend countless hours training and attending certification classes to be prepared for incidents like this and to better protect our community.

“The patient that was quickly located and saved by our fire team is a true testament to the hard work and dedication our team members have.”

According to Kuntz, there were no animals in the home at the time of the incident.

No firefighters were injured, he added.