Summer Bridge program to return in ’22
The Summer Bridge program is expected to return for summer of 2022 at Northampton Area School District.
A presentation about the 2021 Summer Bridge program was made by Dr. Michelle Schoeneberger, NASD assistant superintendent; Scott Este, NASD grades 7-12 secondary supervisor; and Katie Trach, NASD K-grade 6 elementary supervisor, at the NASD Board of Education meeting Aug. 23.
“We do anticipate having the program next year,” Schoeneberger said. “It gave us a lot of energy to start off the new year, which was evident today (Aug. 23, first day for staff for the 2021-22 school year).”
Schoeneberger said 500 students participated in in-person and online Summer Bridge sessions. The college and career readiness sessions had 120 students participating.
At the Aug. 23 school board meeting, NASD Superintendent of Schools Joseph S. Kovalchik said the $2 million George Wolf Elementary School roof repair project was completed in time for the Aug. 30 opening day of classes.
Kovalchik said 6,000 people attended the Aug. 14 and Aug. 18 open houses at Lehigh Elementary School.
“Probably what I enjoyed most was having many NASD graduates return and to see how well they are doing,” Kovalchik said. “It really goes to show NASD did a great job.”
Kovalchik thanked Kurt Paccio, NASD director of technology, for the new district website.
“Mr. Paccio and his team put it together,” Kovalchik said.
As of Sept. 6, the seven-day positive COVID-19 building totals were as follows: Northampton Area High School, 4; Northampton Area Middle School, 3; Borough Elementary Schools, 0; Moore Elementary School, 0; Lehigh Elementary, 1; and George Wolf Elementary, 0.
At the Aug. 23 board meeting, school directors voted 8-0, with once vacancy, to approve:
• Hires - Eric Molchan, NAMS mathematics teacher, effective Aug. 23, for 2021-22 school year, pending receipt of documentation, at $56,355, with benefits; Gina Bauer, NAMS special education instructional assistant, effective Aug. 23, at $14.69 per hour, with benefits; Trisha Nagle, George Wolf teacher, effective Aug. 23, for 2021-22 school year, at $55,555, with benefits; Shamarie Boreman, Moore Elementary special education instructional assistant, effective Aug. 23, at $13.82 per hour
• Resignations: Tina Vozzo, reading instructional assistant, effective Aug. 10; Raquel Barbera, special education instructional assistant, effective Aug. 12; David Douglass, special education instructional assistant, effective Aug. 22; Megan Morey, custodian, effective Aug. 27
At the Aug. 9 board meeting, school directors voted 8-0, with once vacancy, to approve:
• New position of director of human resources and job description
• Hires: Larissa Lopez, security officer, effective Aug. 20 pending receipt of proper documentation, at $22.14 per hour; Danielle Cloward, NAMS Spanish teacher, effective Aug. 23, for 2021-22 school year, at $58,7030, with benefits, funded through Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief III Grant; Kelsey Rinehart, NAHS science teacher, effective Aug. 23 pending receipt of proper documentation, through Jan. 19, 2022, at $295.51 per diem; Elizabeth Frankenfield, NAHS hall monitor, effective Aug. 30, at $13.82 per hour
• Resignations: Scott Moisey, technology teacher, for retirement, effective Jan. 3, 2022; Dennis Yost, security guard, effective July 26, and to end his employment as per agreement
• Voluntary transfers: Bethany Frantz, from Tuesday-Saturday custodian at Lehigh Elementary to Monday-Friday custodian at Moore Elementary, effective Aug. 23; and Forrest Koch, from maintenance II employee to Tuesday-Saturday custodian at Lehigh Elementary, at $25.26 per hour, effective Aug. 23
The board of education is scheduled to meet 6:30 p.m. Sept. 13 in the cafeteria of NAMS, 1617 Laubach Ave., Northampton. Face masks are required to be worn by attendees.