EPC plans tiered start to fall sports
The EPC released the following statement on Friday morning regarding the 2020 fall sports season.
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, The Board of Principals of the Eastern Pennsylvania
Conference voted 18-0 to support a tiered delay and mitigation plan for fall athletic schedules within the league. In response to the current Covid-19 Pandemic the EPC recommends that we utilize the following philosophy as our compass for the navigation of the eventual and gradual re-opening of interscholastic athletic competition.
The Eastern Pennsylvania Conference believes that athletic competition is an integral part of the educational process and therefore recommends the following approach as we enter the tiered phases of re-opening our athletic programs within our conference. We are committed to safely promoting competition locally and in accordance with member schools return to school and athletic safety plans. The Eastern Pennsylvania Conference will follow all mandates handed down from the State of Pennsylvania and the PIAA, while being accepting of the varying directions taken by member schools at the direction of their administration. The following outlines a tiered delayed approach which allows for schools to tackle the opening of
schools first while overall mitigating risk.
Mitigation Through Creative Scheduling and Alignment
The athletic directors of the EPC have creatively re-aligned the conference’s division with mitigation in mind. Member schools have been assigned to divisions which are determined by county whenever possible. This method assists in the mitigation of potential infection by maintaining local competition for the fall EPC season.
• Three Divisions by County
- Lehigh: Allen, CCHS, Dieruff, Emmaus, Parkland, Whitehall
- Monroe: ES North, ES South, Pleasant Valley, PM East, PM West, Stroudsburg
- Northampton: BECAHI, Easton, Freedom, Liberty, Nazareth, Northampton
NOTE: This divisional alignment could be altered in specific sports if all member
schools do not field teams in specific sports.
Number of League Contests
• Cross Country: 5 Total - In county division only, home and away
• Field Hockey: 10 Total - In county division only, home and away
• Football: 5 Total - Weeks 1-5 in county division
• Golf: 10 Total - In county division only, home and away
• Soccer Boys: 10 Total - In county division only, home and away
• Soccer Girls: 10 Total - In county division only, home and away
• Tennis: 10 Total - In county division only, home and away
• Volleyball Girls: 11 Total - (10 In county division only, home and away) 11th game will be seeded accordingly.
Updated EPC Schedules
On August 27th, 2020 the EPC Athletic Directors approved schedules. Please note each schedule is a template and subject to day, facility, and time changes upon mutual agreement of the schools. Please visit each school’s specific sports
schedule for all additional changes.